Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

ominousroost.jpg

BRAND NEW MECHANIC!!! Make tokens cheaper!!! "CAN'T BLOCK"!!!!!!!!!!

This looks like a fun build around in retail or a slow as hell cube. Quite a few of this effect or a closely related effect now. Could have been such a sick card at U. Not being able to block really, really nerfs the tokens midgame but the up front body would have been serviceable at U. Sharpie Cube?
Drake haven is going to be more serviceable in most cubes I think, but man the synergy with

ominousroost.jpg

BRAND NEW MECHANIC!!! Make tokens cheaper!!! "CAN'T BLOCK"!!!!!!!!!!

This looks like a fun build around in retail or a slow as hell cube. Quite a few of this effect or a closely related effect now. Could have been such a sick card at U. Not being able to block really, really nerfs the tokens midgame but the up front body would have been serviceable at U. Sharpie Cube?
my thoughts exactly, at U this is sweet as heck, at 2U… sigh

Eh, I'll probably run ominous roost since its not just flashback it also works with jump-start, the new disturb, retrace, aftermath, abandoned sarcophagus dreadhorde arcanist, and so on, burning vengeance wasn't quite worth it to play on its own. But this may make a new archetype in my cube. I may have to take out my embalm and eternalize cards though because those don't work :rolleyes: .

The disturb cards are right around my power level so I'll probably test them out.

Last edited:

If you can use the clues for artifact synergies, I'm all for this, but otherwise I think that think twice or deep analysis are better.
You know, I think this card is actually a lot better than Deep Analysis. When I played deep, the fact that casting it meant I couldn't hold up a counterspell or instant speed removal meant that I kept getting put into situations where I needed to dig for answers but never had the time to do so. The fact that the flashback cost included a life payment also made the far more accessible flashback mode nearly impossible to cast against aggressive strategies. I found myself (and my players) dying before they could cast Deep Analysis all of the time.

Secrets of the Key, however, is really bloody flexible. It's an instant, and all of its costs can be made in installments. If you're not spending all of your mana on other spells or abilities every turn cycle, you can almost always fit in a Secrets of the Key cast, flashback, or clue crack. The only major downside with this card is that fully using it costs a ton of mana ({9}{U}{U} in total) to fully use, which makes it slightly awkward in mid-length games where using the entire card might not be the best course of action.

While Secrets doesn't compare too well to most cantrips (including Think Twice), it looks much better than the 4 mana draw spells most Cubers still run. The fact that it's an instant with flexible payment options makes it better than the other cards out there that fill a similar role.

foulplay.jpg

Good card, probably one of the best in the set so far.

This card kills utility creatures for days and gives you the ability to draw a card later to boot. Young Pyromancer? Gone. Llanowar Elves Variant? Dead. Jace, Vyrn's Prodegy? In the shadow realm. Dark Confidant? Eviscerated. Usher of the Fallen? Turned back into a Ghost. This thing even kills bigger bodies like Courser of Kruphix and Legion Warboss.

The only real downside here is that it's a sorcery, which means that can be a little bit awkward for control to play when they want to be holding up a counterspell. Slow midrange decks and even some aggro builds love this, though, because it gives them a solid removal spell and some card advantage to boot. This one is good enough where I am likely going to be writring about it in my set review.

E-U_duDVkAgIdkj.png

This card is a relatively efficient way to give Orzhov decks some sort of card advantage. It's unfortunate this card is the follow-up to Priest of Fell Rites, I think it would be a lot more exciting if that card never existed. However, getting to reanimate a powerful card with mana value three or less is exactly what the doctor ordered for Cubes with lower curves. The high flashback cost here is a little suspect, but honestly getting two unearths for the cost of one card is pretty good.

Last edited:
Eh, I'll probably run ominous roost since its not just flashback it also works with jump-start, the new disturb, retrace, aftermath, abandoned sarcophagus dreadhorde arcanist, and so on, burning vengeance wasn't quite worth it to play on its own. But this may make a new archetype in my cube. I may have to take out my embalm and eternalize cards though because those don't work :rolleyes: .

The disturb cards are right around my power level so I'll probably test them out.
Yeah honestly, always wanted to be able to build a cube around Burning Vengeance and this looks like a nice blue counter part to that card :)

You know, I think this card is actually a lot better than Deep Analysis. When I played deep, the fact that casting it meant I couldn't hold up a counterspell or instant speed removal meant that I kept getting put into situations where I needed to dig for answers but never had the time to do so. The fact that the flashback cost included a life payment also made the far more accessible flashback mode nearly impossible to cast against aggressive strategies. I found myself (and my players) dying before they could cast Deep Analysis all of the time.

Secrets of the Key, however, is really bloody flexible. It's an instant, and all of its costs can be made in installments. If you're not spending all of your mana on other spells or abilities every turn cycle, you can almost always fit in a Secrets of the Key cast, flashback, or clue crack. The only major downside with this card is that fully using it costs a ton of mana ({9}{U}{U} in total) to fully use, which makes it slightly awkward in mid-length games where using the entire card might not be the best course of action.

While Secrets doesn't compare too well to most cantrips (including Think Twice), it looks much better than the 4 mana draw spells most Cubers still run. The fact that it's an instant with flexible payment options makes it better than the other cards out there that fill a similar role.
In my cube you run into lots of situations where you can cast deep and have mana for a counterspell or removal. And 6 mana for 4 cards is way better than 11 mana for 3, no matter how flexible (and the 6 mana one is also flexible). If you are trying to dig deep to find an answer ASAP, deep analysis can get you a card deeper in probably one turn of searching, two turns max, while secrets of the key will take two full turns to get you not as deep, and the way the mana is split it might take you three turns to get all three cards, 3 mana, then 4 or 6, then 4 or 2.

If I want a flexible draw spell that let's me maybe draw three but maybe not I'll turn to pull from tomorrow, or if I need to run a card that lets me be really flexible with mana expenditure I'll run hieroglyphic illumination. And as mentioned, if I want the artifact synergy, I'll run hard evidence. The card's just not that good!

Last edited:
1630671512969.png
Unearth effect with flashback? I dig it.

Cute card filtering effect, self-mill support, and self mill payoff in one package. And an artifact!
1630671642212.png1630671648535.png
Ancestral Mirror

1B

Artifact

1,T, pay 1 life, discard a card: Draw a card, then mill a card. Then place a ritual counter on the Ancestral Mirror. Then, if there are 3 or more ritual counters on it, remove them all and transform it. Activate only as a sorcery.

Inherited Demon

Black Creature - Demon

Flying

2B: Exile target creature from a graveyard, Put a +1/+1 counter on Inherited Demon.

4/4

E-U_duDVkAgIdkj.png

This card is a relatively efficient way to give Orzhov decks some sort of card advantage. It's unfortunate this card is the follow-up to Priest of Fell Rites, I think it would be a lot more exciting if that card never existed. However, getting to reanimate a powerful card with mana value three or less is exactly what the doctor ordered for Cubes with lower curves The high flashback cost here is a little suspect, but honestly getting two unearths for the cost of one card is pretty good.
i think if you’re already on Priest of Fell Rites, this is gonna work very nicely towards supporting the same decks she goes into… the question is what to cut for this? WB is a STACKED guild right now with so many great cards being released recently in the pairing (Damn, Priest, Verse, plus the old guard of Vindicate, Souls, Sculler… talk about roster depth!)

I desperately want to include Can't Stay Away but like @blacksmithy said, it's just too hard to find a cut. I'm still extremely unwilling to part with Unburial Rites, which has only gotten better over the years as my cube has become more "fair" while simultaneously creatures have gotten stronger. I love graveyard matters cards with Flashback though and hope we see more cards in this vein this week, it makes the GY decks really sing and makes self-mill become increasingly fun and valuable.

I desperately want to include Can't Stay Away but like @blacksmithy said, it's just too hard to find a cut. I'm still extremely unwilling to part with Unburial Rites, which has only gotten better over the years as my cube has become more "fair" while simultaneously creatures have gotten stronger. I love graveyard matters cards with Flashback though and hope we see more cards in this vein this week, it makes the GY decks really sing and makes self-mill become increasingly fun and valuable.
Rites vs this new reanimate is probably gonna come down to your overall creature curve. like in my environment the three cost slot is pretty much the top end for most decks so Unearth basically = Reanimate, but if you’re on a lot of 4+ cost creatures, ~~please stop immediately~~ Rites is probably gonna be better for you

Wow nice. Really solid body, and the exiling effect can be useful even if you don't get to reanimate them the following turn. Note that it is all creatures exiled with her, so if you cast sweltering suns for example, you would get all of the creatures you killed that way back at once, not just one a turn or something. That's strong.

From our friends at Luckypaper.co:

"What does the Vindicate Test tell us about all of our three-drops that die to removal and leave no trace? Or our four-plus mana spells that sometimes provide additional value and sometimes do not, depending on the board state or just variance? The test is least effective for these cards — once again the inherent subjectivity of card evaluation becomes clear."

1630686552005.png
I think this is my favorite UW tempo support piece so far. Love the interaction with graveyard mechanics, and the disturb is quite good too. Struggled to find a fit for one of my UW slots, but I think the struggle is over.

E-X2vthWEAQ1N_n.jpg

Falkenrath Pit Fighter - R

Creature - Vampire Warrior (Rare)

1R, Discard a card, sacrifice a Vampire: Draw two cards. Activate only if an opponent has lost life this turn.

2/1

-----

Here's my early award for the most exciting card for the highest % of cube managers this set. I love this card, how it's an out in its own right, how it continues the trend of fun red discard synergies, and how the other vampires I have in cube, few though they might be, are most likely to end up in the same deck as the Pit Fighter.

It's not as necessary these days as it would've been even two years ago, as we've gotten a wealth of incredible red 1-drops recently, but I'm enjoying these 2/1 1-drops in red with upside lately.