Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

I wouldn't call the black Adversary 'defensive' necessarily. Even one "multikick" is +5 power to the board (4 that can't even block), and deathtouch is a powerful offensive ability, making blocking a guaranteed trade except in corner cases.

For me the first thing I thought of when I saw it was playing it in something like RB Aggro with Gravecrawler and growing Champion of the Perished either on curve by 1 or by 3 power off the trigger later in game. I like that it's not actual kicker which can lead to some cool corner case scenarios with other cards that let you put it into play. Also can provide the 3 bodies for a Cryptbreaker activation.

I wouldn't call the black Adversary 'defensive' necessarily. Even one "multikick" is +5 power to the board (4 that can't even block), and deathtouch is a powerful offensive ability, making blocking a guaranteed trade except in corner cases.
It's not the 5 mana mode that I'm worried about.

image0.png

I'm really digging this cycle! I love the fact that the trigger happens upon entering the battlefield and isn't an upfront cost. It makes these cards much better against countermagic, especially taxing effects like Mana Leak. I like that WOTC has been making these pushed cycles of cheap constructed cards recently, such as Modern Horizons 2’s Elemental Incarnations. The adversaries continue this trend, and I hope it continues into the future.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I mean, it's optional, which makes this less awkard in some cases, but...

+1 power, graveyard hate, repeated etb trigger shenanigans, and it sees very little play. I'm expecting Loyal Griff to be disappointing.

Why do I want to agree with both of you at the same time, even though your statements are somewhat contradictory?
Mine is "explaining" why the card isn't written the way ravnic desires, so it is a bit contradictory, yes.

I'm really digging this cycle! I love the fact that the trigger happens upon entering the battlefield and isn't an upfront cost. It makes these cards much better against countermagic, especially taxing effects like Mana Leak. I like that WOTC has been making these pushed cycles of cheap constructed cards recently, such as Modern Horizons 2’s Elemental Incarnations. The adversaries continue this trend, and I hope it continues into the future.
I agree with you as a fellow cube enthusiast, but I'm a little hesitant to say it's good for the constructed environments. I fear a standard environment where if you are playing a 2-drop creature there is only one choice (and it's at mythic rarity). But I don't play standard, so what do I know...

Mine is "explaining" why the card isn't written the way ravnic desires, so it is a bit contradictory, yes.
It was just a bad joke on my part. I like your flavor interpretation that clearly explains the design choice. At the same time I really wanted it to say permanent. As Onderzeeboot points out similar cards don't see a lot of play, so a version that said permanent would have been nice to try out.

Augur of Autumn
I think this is a good alternative option to courser of kruphix if the 4 toughness and/or constant lifesaving is frustrating for your format.
Makes me a little nervous. A lot of green decks will be able top rip 90%+ of their deck off the top. When they hit creatures, it will reinforce Coven, too.
Edit: I've been following the forums on and off without getting an account and commenting for a rather long time. This is my first comment ever on here, so if I'm breaching any social contract or any rules, please correct me.
I think not being an asshole constantly is the only rule lol.
it does very much feel like "pushed mythic the card" but at the same time, thinking of it as a modular 3/1 lifelink at 2 CMC or 4/2 lifelink and anthem at 4CMC isn't as busted as it reads...but still undeniably good
Lifelink makes it an issue for aggro, which I don't like. One toughness makes it vulnerable for most of the game, which I do like. Pushed? A little. Scales in an interesting way? Yeah. GRBS? Don't think so.

Wish the black one was a 2/2 lol.
I’ve been dying for this card for my cube.
I'd play it as sorcery. The life gain is relevant for me, but countering a reanimation spell is too harsh for what a fragile deck that already is.
Moonveil Regent
The spoiled dragon Velrun mentioned in cbs
that dragon makes me very happy
Always worrisome for non powermax to see a 4-5 MV mythic dragon. This is actually awesome. Solid stats, for sure, but nothing overwhelming. The first trigger is just awesome. The second one is a little annoying, like a late Flametongue, but not likely to go too nuts unless you worked for it.
Needs reminder text on Evoke for my crew :'(

What a day so far!

Is it just me, or the Adversaries look Standard playable but will likely drop in price when they rotate? Don't seem Modern playable, but I'm out of touch with Constructed.

ooh yes. i do like this. i think it’s a great partner for tireless provisioner, but tireless tracker tracker eats the slot handily if she’s in your power band.

Sweet card, I'm all for more incidental artifacts tied to playable bodies to help flesh out synergies even further. Human typing to synergize with Champion of the Parish and Thalia's Lieutenant, generates some card advantage with Clues, and has decent stats for its cost as a 4/3 Vigilance. Plays well with blink effects ala Teleportation Circle and Soulherder, is a three drop right on curve fitting into both Birthing Pod and Collected Company decks, and even has the base two power for something like Reveillark recursion.

This is exactly the kind of "dense" card that makes me excited as a cube designer, great design!

What a day so far!

Is it just me, or the Adversaries look Standard playable but will likely drop in price when they rotate? Don't seem Modern playable, but I'm out of touch with Constructed.

For the last two years or so, certainly since the pandemic, Standard playability has been pretty secondary in terms of determining price to EDH, and often times, casual constructed appeal is also more important, so I don't anticipate the Adversaries to be that pricey outside of the first two weeks of release unless a format like Modern starts taking to them or they do have some slick Commander tech I haven't figured out yet.

--

Re: Stonecloaker, oh how I adore that card. Lasted 8 years in my cube! One of the most devastating replacements, but pretty necessary with how stacked white's 3-drops can be.

--

Briarbridge Tracker seems like a less interesting Jadelight Ranger that can't really keep up with most green 3-drops these days, butI like the art. This set's been excellent on an artwork front with only a few notable exceptions.

--

EDIT: Spectral Adversary has got me torn -- I love the play patterns available with the card, this cycle has shown a kind of modal play I adore in my cube and makes for more interesting games of magic on average. However! The lack of reminder text for phasing, even on the standard version of the card, is killing me. Even in EDH games I too often see phasing not terribly well known/understood, or worse, over-explained. In my ongoing quest to maximize fun and interesting gameplay while maintaining some sort of ceiling on complexity at a meta-level and/or at the draft stage, I'm just not sure I can justify it. We'll see!

Last edited:
i agree, phasing is one of those mechanics i just don’t care to have to think about on cube night. so far the black and blue Adversaries have been easy ignores for me despite their lovely power level.

and on that note, i have to say, despite the fact i have zero interest in DFCs, night/daybound, or even Decayed tokens, this is already a set that’s giving me plenty of cards to consider. what a killer set!