RiptideLab's Most Liked Posts of 2019

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
A new year means looking at back as what has been. Let's do this.

Last year there was 25 posts with 9+ likes, so we will count them down. No honorable mentions this time. There was 23 posts with 8 likes, I can do that list if people are curious.

All the same liked posts will be put in alphabetical order of the user who posted, so all posts are equal, ignoring the number ranking (it just helps me count).

The Usual Disclaimer:
I scraped this data on the 1st of January 2019. The likes may have changed due to new members only just reading them (probably due to this post). A decent amount of these posts are very context-dependant, so if you don't get something, post it in this thread and we can help decipher it for you.

But without further ado, here are the most liked posts of 2019:
9 Likes:
25. Aston - Aston's Nemesis is Revealed
24. Chris Taylor - Lingering Souls Seems Good
23. Dom Harvey - Dom's War of the Spark Cube Review
22. Eric Twice - Preventing Non-Games in Cube
21. Onderzeeboot - Revival//Revenge Preview
20. Onderzeeboot - What Can You Tell Me About Goblin Trenches?
19. Peter LaCara - Modern Horizon is the Best Cube Set of All Time (Part 2)
18. Rowan_CB - How Magic Arena Will be Good for Cube Owners
17. shamizy - Introducing the Duplicate Voucher
16. sigh - Explaining How 8 Bears Function
15. TrainmasterGT - The Fall of Unsleeved Media
14. troelslmunk - Troels's Cube Introduction

10 Likes:
13. Dom Harvey - SCG Team Open Pittsburgh Result
12. dbs - Finding Omnipresent Support Overlap
11. safra - Why Safra is fine with another Chandra themed Core Set
10. safra - Show me where Hordeling Outburst Hurt You

11 Likes:
9. Dom Harvey - SCG Open Worcester Result

12 Likes:
8. Dom Harvey - SCG Open Columbus Result

13 Likes:
7. Kirblinx - Riptide's Most Liked Posts of 2018
6. TrainmasterGT - Mono-Green Artifacts

15 Likes:
5. Chris: MTGO Academy - Ari Lax Power/Toughness Article
4. Onderzeeboot - Sweet Uncommons by Tripling 1-Drops
3. Onderzeeboot - Any Good 2-Drops to Triplicate?

22 Likes:
2. dbs - Chasing the "Artifact Deck"
1. japahn - Archetype Shapes

This is the second time there has been a tie for the most liked post at the end of the year. Both these posts were both very through provoking and very well written. Both dbs and japahn have pumped out some great long-formed posts and these are the epitome of those efforts. It wouldn't hurt if these got the front-page article treatment, as others mention in reply to these posts. The one front-page post we did get can in a solid 6th place and was also a great long-form post from TrainmasterGT.

We don't just pat ourselves on the back though as we really liked an article by Ari Lax, and Onderzeeboot was the meme master this year using Llanowar Tribe spoiler to go down his own rabbit hole.

Now for my quickfire titbits:
  • 18. Rowan_CB has the earliest post to make the list (2 Jan)
  • 20. Onderzeeboot - Latest post to make the list (12 Nov);
  • The year started off strong again, as January had the most amount of posts in the list with 8.
  • December is the most 'unliked' month, as no post got more than 7 likes.
  • 8, 9, 13. Dom had a great run this year. Congrats man, I hope it continues in the future!
  • 21. Onderzeeboot had the most liked spoiler of the year, for a card I don't think anyone has used :p
  • 10,11 Safra gains the title of 'Queen of quippy one-liner'. Let's see if anyone can knock her off this throne this year.
  • 7. Kirblinx - This shameless plug keeps working. This is probably the highest I will ever get, but it nice to know you guys still enjoy these.
I'll do the posts per user later as I usually do. Place your bets as to who the top 3 posters were last year. I'll also do a discussion from what I find from that data as per usual.

Finally, again like every year, I would like to thank the RipLab community. Without you all, I wouldn't have anything to scrape and I would have better things to do at the start of each year then recompile this code. It was harder this year though as the code didn't want to work this time, so I had to muck around for a couple of days to figure out a work around. It worked out in the end though, as you can see.

Previous Most Liked Post Awards:

I can't believe my post about disliking Nazis made it to top 15 :rolleyes:.

It's good to know that some people still care about stopping the spread of fascism in the magic community :p.

I think my favorite post of 2019 was probably Sighs 8 Bears or Safra's reasoning for being okay with another Chandra set :D.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Posts Per User in 2019
wFNobPP.png
Looks like there was another increase in posts this year. Almost the same increase as the year before, roughly 700.

Four of the top six posters are the same as last year, with Onderzeeboot and Velrun maintaining their positions at 1st and 2nd respectively. Ravnic drops from 3rd to 6th and Chris Taylor stays in 4th.
TrainmasterGT was the biggest gainer this year, doubling their posts from the previous year and ending up in 3rd. Erik Twice and Brad were the new lifeblood of the forum this year and have taken the weight off the first two from post so often.
Nanonox and Mondschwein were the resurrectees of this year, with no posts the year before coming back strong to be in the top 20. psly4mne is also worth noting as a prominent poster that came back

The biggest loss we had last year was Grillo_Parlante. The creator of the Penny Pincher themselves didn't post at all and I am sad to see that they haven't come back. I don't think anyone will be able to fill the shoes that left. May he have moved on to bigger and brighter things.
Other notable characters that have stepped away are James Stevenson, Inscho (who hasn't posted since August) and RavebornMuse (who hasn't posted since February). There were all at once big contributors and there presence will be missed. Although, Jason will poke James to post if required I would imagine. Another thing I only realised, is with James not posting often and Erik Chan leaving last year, Jason is now back to being the only Admin. I don't know if that puts too much responsibility on him or not, but thought it was worth noting.

This time, the top 5 are responsible for half the posts on the site. Nothing much else to say about that statistic.

Oh also, Onderzeeboot, did you know that you overtook Jason as the user with the most posts on this site? Congratulations. If the same post quantities happen this year as they did last year, then Chris Taylor might be able to overtake Jason as well.

So there you have it. Another year of stats down. I had another idea that I most post later in this thread if I get around to it, but anyway, that was 2019. Hope we continue strong in 2020!