RiptideLab's Most Liked Posts of 2020

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Now we all know that 2020 was a garbage fire year for most people. At least we had cube discussion to distract us from the turmoil of real life. So let's see what we liked the most over in our little corner of the world.

To my surprise, this year was the same as last year with there was 25 posts with 9+ likes, so we will count them down.

All the same liked posts will be put in alphabetical order of the user who posted, so all posts are equal, ignoring the number ranking (it just helps me count).

The Usual Disclaimer:
I scraped this data on the 1st of January 2020. The likes may have changed due to new members only just reading them (probably due to this post). A decent amount of these posts are very context-dependant, so if you don't get something, post it in this thread and we can help decipher it for you.

But without further ado, here are the most liked posts of 2020:
9 Likes:
25. Chris: MTGO Academy - Reliving the Penny Pincher 2.0
24. Dom Harvey - Building Black Aggro
23. Greater Gnoll - We Got DATA! MTGO Cube Analysis
22. landofMordor - The First Four Questions Cube Designers Should Ask
21. insho - The Tension of Bomat Courier
20. insho - Contextually Exciting Cards
19. LadyMapi - Sagas Hot Take
18. TrainmasterGT - All Hail the Almighty Brushwagg
17. vennythekid - 'Party' and Doing Tribal the Right Way

10 Likes:
16. Chris Taylor - Rin and Rin, Inseperable
15. Dom Harvey - An Iconic First Post
14. Dom Harvey - Now Apart of SCG Coverage
13. Dom Harvey - Exploring One-Off Formats
12. Kirblinx - MTGO Pauper Champion
11. Onderzeeboot - Using ROE to understand Battlecruiser Formats
10. Nanonox - Sharing Experiences with Bolas' Citadel
9. Rasmus - First Reaction to Almighty Brushwagg
8. ravnic - First Reaction to Elder Gargaroth
7. Velrun - Prisbradic Swamp

11 Likes:
6. Brad - Review of Spell Lands in ZNR - Link to actual review here
5. Kirblinx - RiptideLab's Most Liked Posts of 2019

13 Likes:
4. japahn - Cube Occasionals

15 Likes:
3. MurphysHuman - 'Dense' Commons in Ikoria Limited
2. Nemo - Average Words Per Card

18 Likes:
1. japahn - Embrace the Chaos

Japahn goes back to back years getting the top post. The excellent post about Embrace the Chaos/Cube Occasionals seemed to resonate a lot with the people of the forum and easily garnered the most likes this year. 2nd and 3rd go to solid posts from newcomers, which is always nice to get new blood flowing through the forum.

Chris and Velrun tie for the best meme post. Both only just an image, but both pretty hilarious.

Now for my quickfire titbits:
  • Surprisingly June had the most amount of posts in the list with 5.
  • February and November are the most 'unliked' months, but they both did have posts with 8 likes.
  • 1,2,5: All of these top posts are the starts of new threads, which is certainly a good way to make that thread known.
  • 13,14,15,24. Dom had the most best posts again this year. Man certainly knows how to hype up the forum.
  • 8. ravnic and 9 Rasmus; Had the most liked spoiler of the year, both for big angry green cards (arguably)
  • 12. Kirblinx - Thanks to all for cheering for my accomplishment, it means more than you know. (It's a shame what happened at the MOCS).
Finally, again like every year, I would like to thank the RiptideLab community. This was my first year as an admin, and while I wasn't around as much as I would have liked, I am thankful to for all of you guys for making this community not need that moderation at all. I am always fairly available on the discord as TrainmasterGT had found out, and shoots me a message when something needs to be fixed (I really appreciate the communication Train). Also having my name in lights on the MTGO circuit was a heck of an experience and I was glad to share what I could here.

This post is my present to all you guys and I hope you enjoy. Here's to hoping 2021 isn't as much of a trainwreck of a year :)

Previous Most Liked Post Awards:

Always a fun read, thanks for doing this! Definitely wasn't the most engaging year from a cube or design perspective, but here's to a better 2021 when I can (hopefully) run a few drafts and actually have something to discuss around here.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The year definitely felt muted for me in terms of Magic, especially cube. All I get to do with COVID around is Commander, so cube really took a back seat this year. I'm glad that didn't prevent people from starting a bunch of good discussions this year!