Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I think they're both interesting, but I'm actually mildly peeved that blue gets creatures like that which IMO feel very red/green mechanically...

I agree, was thinking about this the other day. You'd be hard pressed to find many green creatures that good at similar casting costs.

Wall of feedback incoming...

Re shattergang brothers: want to like it but too expensive colour wise and to activate. Might work in slower gold cubes?
Re cloud key: only better than a colourless mana rock if you're casting multiple spells a turn. Perhaps if you support storm? But otherwise no.
Nodes: actually think this could be playable. Also might work in enchantment theme. Not a huge amount of fun to play against but slow enough to maybe be interesting?
Ith: I remember him being slow in time spiral limited so don't hold out great hopes but would like to hear your experience if you try him
Heartless summoning: struggling to see how you might get it to effectively work?
Regrowth: always seemed meh to me too but recently been good at getting back threats and removal so have a lot more confidence in it now.
Smother: I like the idea of well thought out conditional removal and could see this working well. I don't think it's exclusively a control card though.
Aluren: perhaps playable when you're drawing a bunch of cards each turn and want small creatures? In enchantress maybe?
Phyrexian reclaimation: has the seal of approval from FSR and Jason. Have recently added and looking forward to trying.
Entombed exarch: not the most efficient but has some interesting tensions. I quite like it. Good in lower powered slower cubes.
Sever the bloodline: like it. Particularly good vs tokens and big guys. Card advantage. Costs 4 :(
Pristine angel. Hexproof, urgh. Prefer the hexproof on prognostic sphinx, though not sure i can articulate why.

I've been thinking about

He's a human too. Makes interesting play decisions.

Especially good in context with

Anybody tried him?

I have. Dies to everything, and in a typical red deck i.e. not waiting to drop siege-gang or something to attack, it's just worse than every other 2-drop. It wasn't consistently better than goblin piker enough to make the cut. Foundry street denizen is similar and has the upside of being a 1-drop, but IMO the effect just sucks on x/1s.

84.jpg

Okay, I am going to give this guy a try. Even when it's a aura it works with Gravecrawler right? :) I think the effect can be pretty strong if you support Black/X-aggro.
Anyway, we'll see. :p Blood Scrivener almost didn't do anything, so this will be it's replacement for the upcoming draft.

Dom Harvey

Contributor

Yeah this card is a bit of a joke, but play along with me here. With 40 card decks people usually start on 33, and if we assume that a game lasts 7 turns with a fetchland or card draw spell involved we need to mill 25 cards to deal lethal. With the right setup that only takes a few turns of activations, and if Phenax himself comes online you can get to ~25 very quickly.

Walls both slow the opponent's offense, giving you time to Millstone them to death, and have a good toughness-CMC ratio for Phenax. Wall of Denial in particular is very strong, and was semi-Cubeable in 2009!

Make all your walls into fearsome attacking blocking machines!

Actually animating Gods is so 2013, but if you're so inclined:

Draft coffers and tomb of yawgmoth, and suddenly things aren't that extreme anymore. I could always put them together as the same pick, I guess.

CML

Contributor
I can confirm Magister of Worth is as sweet as one would think, Cogwork Librarian too. I couldn't get any specific impressions of the latter, but I did see good ol' Borges circumnavigating the table like it were some celestial treadmill. As for the former, it just killed all creatures and made a 4/4 flying for 4WB

CML

Contributor
I tried Cabal Coffers and it was really fucking awful. The power level just isn't there (for Cube, you know) -- heart's in the right place, though. also "poison"

I'd like it if Korlash worked, but I've also surrendered to the fact that some mechanics are made for decks and not cube, and grandeur seems like one of those.