General The Constructed thread

I guess my stupid ideas sorta pertain to this conversation so I'll let them out here:

I was thinking it would be super fun to run a "Both Ravnica Blocks" block tournament, maybe with proxies allowed because I understand DC's are expensive now hahaha. Also totes doable with mirrodin but that would be like the least fun ever right?

After a bit of thinking about that I was feeling sad there was no more extended and how I missed all sorts of cool modern formats and then I thought what if there was like a mini modern. A shortened extended format that kept a good throttle on the power level by only going about 4 blocks deep. I guess rotation might be a little mean to it, but boy would that give you some good use out of your constructed purchases and make for a format where you could feel confidant about your ability to curate the strategies and the feel as a designing and tournament running entity.

CML

Contributor
both are direly necessary, i hate playing without either. i'm not sure if one is more important than the other, but in any event, brainstorm is certainly not the most-misplayed card in legacy. Wasteland is.

CML

Contributor
giving this a try at the open on saturday, i think

4 t of deceit
4 watery
2 nyk fit
2 mvault
14 swamp

3 merfolk rat
4 mediocre draft specter
4 abyssal persecutor for retards
4 moichant
4 thoughtseize
2 doom blade
2 whip
4 hero’s downfall
4 arena for retards
2 far // away
1 abhorrent overlord

2 aetherling
2 lifebane
2 duress
2 gainsay
2 negate
1 erebos, god of durdles

4 pharika’s

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
giving this a try at the open on saturday, i think

4 t of deceit
4 watery
2 nyk fit
2 mvault
14 swamp

3 merfolk rat
4 mediocre draft specter
4 abyssal persecutor for retards
4 moichant
4 thoughtseize
2 doom blade
2 whip
4 hero’s downfall
4 arena for retards
2 far // away
1 abhorrent overlord

2 aetherling
2 lifebane
2 duress
2 gainsay
2 negate
1 erebos, god of durdles

4 pharika’s

English?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Man CML rules.
My favourite was definitely Mediocre Draft Specter.
I feel like we should probably feel super grateful and not rag on him too hard because I get the feeling CML is constantly cynical with everyone else and for some reason he comes here and has seen fit to just be super cynical and pedantic around us and not at us.

I like your 4x thoughtseize and the couple far // aways but I'm totes curious these days (with so many dumb attacking decks) how many instances of Thoughtseize you wana see in a game. Is there a way to get rid of them and draw other stuff? Like how you can discard your second AEther Vial to your Thirsts.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I feel like we should probably feel super grateful and not rag on him too hard because I get the feeling CML is constantly cynical with everyone else and for some reason he comes here and has seen fit to just be super cynical and pedantic around us and not at us.

I was under the impression that our ragging was a sign of affection.

CML

Contributor
ahhhhh daggers and cynicism, or as i call it, "friendship."

and of course dom wins with "merfolk rat" having power on board proportionate to the square of how many you have. here is the incomparable alan partridge on the merfolk deck

fwiw about the B/u list -- i shoulda splashed green instead. i realized this while losing to Harrison Hite, who did splash G, and whose article is here http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27185_The-Industry-Standard-Merchandising-5th.html. i fiddled with the numbers a bit and came up with something you guys will like (imprecise but accurate, with a "professional" deck presentation):

3 Golgari Guildgate
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Temple of Mystery
2 Mutavault
13 Swamp

2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Lifebane Zombie
1 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
2 Nightveil Specter
2 Desecration Demon
2 Reaper of the Wilds
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel

4 Underworld Connections
3 Abrupt Decay
1 Doom Blade
3 Hero’s Downfall
2 Putrefy
4 Thoughtseize
2 Whip of Erebos

1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Hero’s Downfall
1 Putrefy
2 Vraska the Unseen
2 Duress
2 Pharika’s Cure
2 Golgari Charm
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Mistcutter Hydra

i am inclined to play something like this at the invitational unless the meta shifts drastically. if you wanna play cheap standard for the next couple of years buy some nykthos

if you wanna play cheap standard for the next couple of years buy some nykthos

But aren't all the absurd devotion-enabling cards from RTR block? Just one year!

I've been playing this bant pile a friend excitedly showed me after I durdled and borrowed entire decks for a little while; I had the vast majority of these cards already. I can't find the list again for reference but here it is.

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Manaweft Sliver
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Prophet of Kruphix
2 Master Biomancer
2 Horizon Chimera
2 Archangel of Thune
2 Prime Speaker Zegana
2 Angel of Serenity

3 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Primeval Bounty
2 Elpseth, Sun's Champion
3 Sphinx's Revelation

All 16 Duals
5 Forest
4 Plains

The sideboard is a massive pile that is something like 12 cards for the aggro matchup, 5cc jace, d-sphere and aetherling.

It's got 12 dorks, so essentially 37 lands. Drawing late dorks is actually fine when you have some kind of pump like a large biomancer, an archangel, or a primeval bounty. When the deck WORKS it is absurd and I'm not sure how it could ever lose, but I flood on no-threats-even-when-you-revelate-for-five at least twice as often. I'm planning on cutting the caryatids both because they can't attack and they're $7 USD, which is awful. I'll probably have to change my basics a little because I needed that double blue when I just didn't have it in lands pretty often.

My LGS is essentially doom blade: the store; of 33 people on Wednesday 28 were playing mono black or blue splashing black.

Is green the only colour for reasonable mana disruption in standard these days? I guess there is that land. I wonder if there is a stifle. Pithing needle is around I'm pretty sure.

CML

Contributor
pithing needle on wasteland is a mana-denying-denying plan :(

legacy players say "revoker hits LED, needle hits karakas" or whatever