General [CMR] Commander Legends Previews

By the time a player can resolve Jace, Memory Adept, Court of Cunning have already ended the game.

More or less. You get the idea. The difference between 3 and 5 mana is enormeous. Spells that cost 5 mana are not always played on turn 5 because hitting five land drops in a row in cube is not guarenteed.

I guess it can be sort of fun to turbo mill a player in record speed. The card was clearly not designed for a regular 1v1 cube with 40 cards decks.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The duality of man:
Rograkh-Son-of-Rohgahh-CMR-672.jpg
Court-of-Grace-CMR-672.jpg

that's a play sequence. T1 Llanowar Elves, Turn 2 Court of Cunning. The card in question is pasted for viewing on the previous page.

Ah, thanks - for whatever reason, my eyes were just skipping over than first period, and I was going "Wait, Elf Court? I thought the Green Court dropped lands/creatures?"

Court of Grace protects itself with 4/4 Angels which is pretty damn dangerous. And if you’re no longer the Monarch you get 1/1’s to start reclaiming that throne.

toggogoblinweaponsmith.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Can't wait for ultra pro to come out with the new sleeves with "Rock" on them
If the rocks could hit players this would be really cool, but as is, this card is really bad. It's such a cool design, but they just couldn't make the rocks good enough, could they...

My day is Un-ruined. This looks sweet and has the potential to add a lot of power to the board. I'll take 7.

Honestly, I hate Cascade. Total RNG swing mechanic. Doesn't get any more high variance than Cascade. It also can take a while to resolve, has 5 lines of reminder text, and isn't an ability anyone who hasn't been fucked by BBE or Maelstrom Wanderer is familiar with. In this spider's case, it's not like we're at any shortage of genuinely interesting green 6 drops that do more than add a random amount of stats to the board.

Rocks are cool.

Not too relevant here, but this is gonna sell a lot of packs and the art is amazing
jeweledlotus.jpg

Art :eek:
zurtheenchanter.jpg

I am fucking pissed off that they signed off on that Lotus. Just straight up injected a format staple into a Limited print run. Wizards going all in on their desire to increase revenues by bleeding their players dry is just so blatant and gross. 2020 has just been a master class in how to NOT promote long term format health for a game. I straight up cannot and will not recommend the game to any friends that might be interested at this point. It's entirely not worth it as a new player.

It's so bizarre that they're willing to throw away years and years of product stability and consumer confidence for short term gains. A year of format warping staples, game-warping mechanics, and just blatant cash grabs. Rinse and repeat. Ugh.

Cube is at least sheltered from this fuckery, but it sucks for anyone even remotely interested in other formats.

It's so bizarre that they're willing to throw away years and years of product stability and consumer confidence for short term gains. A year of format warping staples, game-warping mechanics, and just blatant cash grabs. Rinse and repeat. Ugh.

Me when the cards get spoiled ^

Me when the cards hit the shelves:

DorySpeakingWhale.png

Cube is at least sheltered from this fuckery, but it sucks for anyone even remotely interested in other formats.
I've been considering going lower powered to not support their secondary market as much. I'm not much of a spender, but I definitely disagree with a lot of how they handle things and that's the only way I can express it. Most of the game is pretty good, but they throw 1-3 absolute bullshit cards per set and it's gross.

I am fucking pissed off that they signed off on that Lotus. Just straight up injected a format staple into a Limited print run. Wizards going all in on their desire to increase revenues by bleeding their players dry is just so blatant and gross. 2020 has just been a master class in how to NOT promote long term format health for a game. I straight up cannot and will not recommend the game to any friends that might be interested at this point. It's entirely not worth it as a new player.

Ok, a couple things.

First, this set actually has an Unlimited Print Run. While cards from this set will be a little more scarce than standard release cards, there is not cap on how much of this gets printed. As long as people are buying it, there will be more. The booster box prices also only appear to be about $120, so a little more than a normal box but not too much more. There's also a foil in every pack, and the two guaranteed legends per pack are in their own slot and can be of any rarity. Plus, the collector booster contents are pretty reasonable as well.

As for the shift in quantity and price of Magic product, these factors are tied to the ever-expanding magic player base. Magic's audience was much smaller back in the day, so every product had to suit the needs of every player or else they would be failures. However, Magic has been going through a boom recently thanks to Arena, and now the player base is huge. I don't know the exact number, but it's bigger than the 20 Million figure touted by WOTC when I first started playing back in 2013. Due to the expanding player base, the company can make products more aimed towards specific subsets of the community. They're not designing each product for everyone anymore, they're making things for specific parts of the population. I'm not even referring to so-called whales here either. While they obviously made a few products made for whales (The Ravnic Mythic Edition/Eldraine gift Edition, Secret Lair Ultimate Edition... really anything with "Edition" in the title), it seems like they've recognized that these products were mistakes and have backed off a little bit. I know the recent VIP Edition sold reasonably well, but it's not entirely clear how much of that was actual consumers buying the product or stores breaking it down for singles... even then, it had the magic "edition" word and might not ever show up again- I don't know. While I won't deny that consumer confidence is an important part of selling product, I'm skeptical as to how much of WOTC's money actually comes directly from so-called enfranchised players like us. Much of wizard's money no longer comes from it's tournament player base- it comes from people playing exclusively casually. There's no point in trying to sell someone who's never even heard of booster draft a pack specifically designed for that purpose if you don't have to.

Our game suffers from so much doomer pessimism with this game these days that I don't really see the point in getting upset about a card in an unlimited run draft set that is literally only usable in a casual format. While there are larger issues in the Magic ecosystem worth being upset about right now, this is not one of those things. It just doesn't matter.

Strong disagree. I'm about to ramble so apologies to anyone just looking for spoiler discussion, but fuck it.

Ok, a couple things.

First, this set actually has an Unlimited Print Run. While cards from this set will be a little more scarce than standard release cards, there is not cap on how much of this gets printed. As long as people are buying it, there will be more. The booster box prices also only appear to be about $120, so a little more than a normal box but not too much more. There's also a foil in every pack, and the two guaranteed legends per pack are in their own slot and can be of any rarity. Plus, the collector booster contents are pretty reasonable as well.

I don't think you quite grasp what Unlimited means in terms of a supplemental product. Print to demand? Sure, it'll be available as long as stores ask for it. But Magic doesn't have a single product to sell for half a year; we go through new sets and releases every quarter. As soon as the next big set or supplemental comes out, player demands will shift and this will end up going out of print. It happened with Conspiracy both times, and certain cards shot to the moon as a result, and it will absolutely happen again.

We're also in the middle of a pandemic; paper Magic is not being restocked as often as it was previously. So many players couldn't get their hands on Double Masters or Mystery Boosters earlier this year. It will be an exact repeat with this set given the current circumstances. That does not bode well when you print the Black Lotus of the format at the highest rarity.

There is no way in hell you meet the demand for the player base with a card that is literally Black Lotus for commanders unless it gets printed in every pre-con to infinity like Sol Ring has. This will be akin to Mana Crypt where every deck will want a copy, but the vast majority will not be able to readily acquire or afford one. Having played the format for nearly 6 years now, I'm confident in saying that there are only a handful of decks that would not be interested in this particular card if they could afford it. If this were readily available, it would be a stone cold staple of the format akin to Sol Ring. But there is no way they meet player demand in a supplemental set that won't be printed forever.

While I won't deny that consumer confidence is an important part of selling product, I'm skeptical as to how much of WOTC's money actually comes directly from so-called enfranchised players like us. Much of wizard's money no longer comes from it's tournament player base- it comes from people playing exclusively casually. There's no point in trying to sell someone who's never even heard of booster draft a pack specifically designed for that purpose if you don't have to.

Magic has survived to this point due to its stability as a product. I'm not speaking from a finance perspective, but as a game that was consistent in its quality. Players felt safe buying cards because they weren't about to be outdated or power-creeped out of relevance on the norm. I don't believe that's the case any longer; their design philosophies strongly suggest that they are in favor of pushing the envelope and constantly moving the power band upwards if the last 18 months are any indication. This is eerily similar to what Konami did with Yu-Gi-Oh waaaaaay back when and that's NOT where you want to be headed.

Tournament Magic was never a real moneymaker for them, it's always been the casual crowd. But casuals drift in and out of the game. What brings them back in? What brought many of them in the first place? The dedicated player base. The main reason why Magic has been so successful for so long is that long-time players have LOVED the game and brought others in over time. I've met a lot of people playing the game and been introduced to friends that I still keep in contact with years after the fact. Magic has long been a great game and that's what has allowed it phenomenal player retention over the years. I can't think of many other games that have managed to captivate their players for 7+ years on average.

Unfortunately, that's not the reality of the last year; the game hasn't been great. Their formats haven't been engaging, corrective measures for problematic cards are being done every set now, and they've been pretty blatant about maximizing possible revenue streams by targeting their consumers with the least impulse control.

Our game suffers from so much doomer pessimism with this game these days that I don't really see the point in getting upset about a card in an unlimited run draft set that is literally only usable in a casual format. While there are larger issues in the Magic ecosystem worth being upset about right now, this is not one of those things. It just doesn't matter.
This absolutely is an issue. I'm sorry if you don't play Commander enough to realize it, but I'm not a fan of having one of my favorite formats go down the shitter with shortsighted designs. You're also grossly underestimating how big this format is for Magic nowadays; it's arguably the most profitable and most catered to segment of their player base BY FAR.

With the push of legendary cards in the last few years and various product offerings specifically to target this player base, it has become a constant arms race with pushed designs. Where before it was an exploratory format to try out cards that were overlooked, nowadays there are more robust and efficient options being printed and shoehorned as staples every other set. It doesn't help that the format is regulated by a group of people who are entirely out of touch with something they built years ago. It absolutely matters when players feel the need to constantly buy new product to keep up. This is not sustainable.

You can try talking it down but it's been evident that the game is not on a good course the last year and half. Unless you're wearing rose-colored glasses, the game is NOT in a healthy position when viewed through various different lenses. Format staples being printed every set shifts metagames too rapidly for it to be tenable for players to keep up with in paper, where cards cost actual money to acquire. Modern has had major shifts in minimal time, unheard of for a format that many bought into years ago with the idea of it being mostly non-rotating. Well you technically can play with most of your cards, but good luck being competitive without utilizing the newer more efficient options being printed every set. Constant bannings lead to a reduced interest in competitive formats because it is not worth the time or money to invest into something that can be taken away from you as soon as the next set is released. Broken mechanics requiring errata to glue together a hasty solution to something that should have been caught in development. This is just a bad product right now.

Last I'm going to say on this because I don't want to derail any further. As much as I love Cube and how little it is affected by these seemingly constant missteps, I really really fucking hate what Wizards has done with this game in recent times. This game isn't suffering from doomer pessimism; it's suffering from shortsighted decision-making and bad stewardship from the higher-ups. If all they care about is revenue numbers then they're right on track to make money for their shareholders. I just hope they don't bleed the enthusiasm for this game dry by the time they're done with it. Unfortunately, that seems to be the current course if they don't right the ship.

Modern has had major shifts in minimal time, unheard of for a format that many bought into years ago with the idea of it being mostly non-rotating. Well you technically can play with most of your cards, but good luck being competitive without utilizing the newer more efficient options being printed every set.

with how trigger happy Wizards is with banning old modern staples rather than the new brokenness whenever something gets dominant, it’s pretty hard to just play “Old favorite” underpowered decks in modern these days.

I loved Melira pod, but Pod can’t come off the ban list as long as corridor monitor exists for example, and he’s just the first of many layers of nonsense that would have to leave the format before pod looked fair again.

on the topic of spoilers: mostly I’m interested in adding some of the monarch stuff into my Conspiracy set sim (is this conspiracy 3? Conspiracy, the full block!) but so far all the monarch spoiled cards are painfully obviously built for 40 life 100 card formats, that blue card is GRBS on the level of UG sword, and the white one is barely safer!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not as pessimistic as shamizy about the state of Magic. I personally think WotC has really stepped up their set design starting with Kaladesh, but I absolutely agree their heavy meddling in Commander* has had some unfortunate impact on the format (looking at you commanders that work from the command zone, e.g. Oloro, Ageless Ascetic and Edgar Markov), but Black Lotus for commanders has the be one of the most moronic things they have done yet. It's a colorless staple on the level of Sol Ring (a card that, in my opinion, should have been banned from the format long ago!), except it's mythic and this is its first printing. I mean, the first presales that were put up on magiccardmarket are going for €100, that should tell you enough.

* Their heavy meddling in other formats had similar effects, see Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Kinsbaile-Courier-CMR-672.jpg

So if this just had unearth, how would we feel? Double ETBs are great, sac fodder, etc

Archelos-Lagoon-Mystic-CMR-672.jpg

This card is so...weird? Also why isn't it white?
This is the kinda brain exploding not broken build around I love commander for

Tuia-Bearclaw-CMR-672.jpg

This thing is also interesting. If you liked Syr Faren, here's different take on that theme

I really like the Courier. Even if you're just dropping it onto an empty board, it's a 3/2 for 2W that works with token strategies and can recur itself.