Riptide's Most Liked Posts of 2018

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Hello again, fellow Lab Maniacs!

I didn't forget! Just been a little busy.
Alright, let's get this thing started!!!!!!

Last year there was 23 posts with 10+ likes, so we will count them down. With also 16 posts with 9 likes, so I will do the same thing as last year and add them as honorable mentions.

All the same liked posts will be put in alphabetical order of the user who posted, so all posts are equal, ignoring the number ranking (it just helps me count).

The Usual Disclaimer:
I scraped this data on the 2nd of January 2018. The likes may have changed due to new members only just reading them (probably due to this post). A decent amount of these posts are very context-dependant, so if you don't get something, post it in this thread and we can help decipher it for you.

But without further ado, here are the most liked posts of 2018:
10 Likes:
23. anotak - Re: WOTC Paper Cube
22. Chris: MTGO Academy - Updates on the Grid Draft Cube Project
21. Grillo_Parlante - The Greatness of Kitesail Freebooter
20. Jason Waddell - The "Magic Finances" Game
19. Kirblinx - 10 Simple Changes to the Cardkingdom Starter Cube
18. Mad Prophet - The Mad Prophet Approach to Cube Design
17. safra - Evaluating a New Card's Power Level
16. VincePendrell - Cube Transcendence Level

11 Likes:
15. adhadabans - Playing Devil's Advocate on the Sunk Cost Fallacy
14. Dom Harvey - A Look at Kamigawa/Ravnica Standard
13. James Stevenson - Artifact Sweepers
12. Kirblinx - RiptideLab's Most Liked Posts of 2017
11. Rowan_CB - Optimal Draft Variants for Less Than 8 Players

12 Likes:
10. Chris Taylor - Things That Are Not Islands
9. Dom Harvey - Saving Time and Money
8. Rowan_CB - The Worst Card That Riptider's Will Put in Their Cube

13 Likes:
7. Mad Prophet - Supporting a Wadellean Outlook
6. safra - Rebutting Postmodern and Neo-Marxist Stuff

14 Likes:
5. Jason Waddell - Jason and James Go to a Prerelease

17 Likes:
4. Jason Wadell - Ode to James
3. Velrun - The Joy is Real <3

18 Likes:
2. safra - Safra's Take on the Sunk Cost Fallacy

26 Likes:
1. Dom Harvey - Alternative Posting Systems

I foresaw the the winner from the moment it was posted. Great post Dom. Has even usurped Aston's best post of 2015 to be the most liked post on the site. Congrats. Come on Aston, you need to pick up your game. You didn't even make the list this year :p

Now for my quickfire titbits:
  • 7. Mad Prophet has the earliest post to make the list (4 Jan); I will get this title back I swear!
  • 10. Chris - Latest post to make the list (23 Nov); Although 34. Dom was in December, but honorable mentions don't count :p
  • The year started off strong as January had the most amount of posts in the list with 9.
  • February finally gets some love with 2 posts on the list, but August again misses out with no posts getting above 8 likes that month.
  • 2. Safra & 15. adhadabans - Were part of IMO the best thread of the year, The Sunk Cost Fallacy. No shitposts here. Just people showing their love for the game and their passion for cube design but stifled by the corporate machine that is Magic the Gathering.
  • 36. 34. 31. & 22 were the only posts to come of the Cube Blogs forums. These are all great quality. Special mention to 36. dbs for his Mox Cube getting that high as a first post.
  • 8. Rowan_CB had the most liked spoiler of the year (what have we become!)
  • 13. James regains this throne of post to make the list with least amount of words.
  • It is somewhat poetic that number 5 leads into number 4. I couldn't have asked for anything more.
So now that another list is done and dusted, do people want me to still post the Posts per User like the last couple of years? I have a feeling the posts were up from last year, as the list for the most liked posts was bigger, so that means more posts right? It will just take me until the weekend to get the data is all.

Finally, again like every year, I would like to thank the RipLab community. Without you all, I wouldn't have anything to scrape and I would have better things to do at the start of each year then recompile this code :p
But really, this is my favourite thing to do each year and look forward to seeing the sick shitposts that I didn't notice. Here's to hoping someone dethrones Dom this year!

Previous Most Liked Post Awards:

Man, I barely even posted in 2018 aside from spoiler season and like 2 cube reports. I gotta step my game up this year.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Posts Per User in 2018

I managed to keep all the data from last year, so I put both post counts next to each other to compare activity between the years. If you love stats as much as I do, there is a lot of inferring you can do about why and how posts increased/decreased for specific users.

But anyway, here is the list.
30cygK1.png
As per usual Onderzeeboot leads the way in the forum with an astounding amount of posts, and Chris Tayor (4th) and Sigh (5th) continue pump out the content to make the top 5 again this year. In 2nd place is Velrun, who has been a great breath of life to the forum and may be the one to knock Onderzeeboot off his mantle the way he is going. 3rd is Ravnic, who joined in late 2017, made a lot of contributions especially using the "Looking for a Card" thread.

So the comparisons between total posts of the site from 2017 to 2018 was a slight increase from 5959 to 6645. This is good to see an increase in activity, or at least not a decline. The discussion is healthy and we gain roughly the same amount of users as we lose.

Speaking of losing members. That was the saddest thing when comparing posts between years, you notice when someone is gone. Long time forum goers such as Diakonov, Aoret and Eric Chan have just disappeared. There is also a handful of frequent posters in 2017 like GiftsForgiven and Salmo2 whose presence is also missed.
Nothing is absolute, and hobbys wax and wane. Heck, I have been disinterested in cube since last year, so I can understand. You can also see some other posters that this has happened to such as ahadabans (I really struggle to type this name everytime), CML and Chris MTGO Academy.

This doesn't mean it is all doom and gloom though. There are some people that just didn't post in 2017 and came back in 2018, like Suicufnoc, Genericco and Mad Prophet. So what goes around comes around.

The most prolific new members were TrainmasterGT (10th), Rowan_CB (16th) and Karn Cuberated (21st). Hope you guys stick around for a long time. Also special mention to dbs. Hasn't been here too long and didn't do that many posts, but his post to likes ratio is pretty strong for a new member.

Also fun fact, the top 6 posters contribute half the overall posts to the forum. Which I think is pretty insane, but if you go through a forum and look at every second post and check if it is from one of those 6, then I guess it isn't too far fetched.

I hope you get as much out of the data as I did and if you see anything interesting that I didn't mention then post it.

Here's to a good 2019. May we all have a great year.

Can someone explain to me what this even means? :confused:

Hahaha, Chapo Trap House is an American leftist podcast. It's a meme-ish thing for their fans to tweet "go on chapo" to people who express even marginally left-wing views - usually sarcastically at conservative media figures. After I left my job as a software engineer and especially after I started doing labor policy research and union organizing, I've kinda decided that the Chapo (i.e. "dirtbag left") approach doesn't line up with my personal vision for the left... but I'll admit that I still listen because they're really damn funny. It's a guilty pleasure.

Hey! It's been a while.

In the last 3.5 years I've bought a house, had two children, and have been obsessed with many non-Magic board games. Before we bought the house, my most frequent cube-drafting group and I all lived in the same city, but having moved 15 minutes away is apparently enough to make it difficult to arrange (I was usually the host). My longtime Magic friends are all still connected but we only hang out as a group a few times a year. I still have my cube and intend to pick up where I left off with design, but Kirblinx is exactly right about the ebbs and flows.

Still love and think about this forum, though. So happy to see that it's still doing what it does best. I will return in a more meaningful fashion at some point in the near future, I'm sure.