RiptideLab Most Reacted Posts of 2023

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
2023 is another year for the annals of time. So many sets were released that most of us don't probably don't even realise that there is (insert some amazing fact here)! I know right! I finally got to draft my cube again after like 5 years, so that was nice and it looks like everyone had a good year here too, Hasbro corporate decisions not withstanding.

Anywho, I almost forgot to run this, but woke up in a cold sweat a couple of nights ago remembering that I should probably do this, and then I lost power for a day so it's been a good time. Decent amount of reactions again this year, less than last year though. Went down to 10 reacts this year as that gets me close to the 50 mark that I like to stick to. So yeah, now onto the list!

The Usual Disclaimer:
I scraped this data on the 3rd of January 2024. The likes may have changed due to new members only just reading them (probably due to this post). A decent amount of these posts are very context-dependant, so if you don't get something, post it in this thread and we can help decipher it for you.
All the same liked posts will be put in alphabetical order of the user who posted, so all posts are equal, ignoring the number ranking (it just helps me count).

Now here we go, the most reacted to posts of 2023:
10 Reactions
41. blacksmithy - Errataing Triarch Praetorian
40. brad - Contest Submission (Rakdos/Rile)
39. Chris Taylor - "Proliferating the Jitte"
38. Chris Taylor - Making Fun of Custom Cards
37. Chris Taylor - Rescuer Chwinga
36. Humpty_Dumpty - Implementing Play Boosters
35. Jason Waddell - Cube Categories
34. Jason Waddell - EV/Dollar Spent Arguments
33. gaytransmulldrifter - Why Beanstalk is Pricey
32. LadyMapi - Contest Submission (Simic/Experiment With)
31. LadyMapi - Non-Creature Artifact Tokens
30. MilesOfficial - Can't Handle First Mate Ragavan
29. Nemo - Commander Sets
28. Onderzeeboot - Dom's Performance at the Pro Tour
27. Onderzeeboot - They're the Same Picture
26. Onderzeeboot - WOE Prerelease Observations
25. Humpty_Dumpty - Targeted Advertising
24. TrainmasterGT - MOM LPR Set Review, Review
23. Zoss - Beginning Cubing out of Hate

11 Reactions
22. Brad - Contest Submission (Izzet/Scrutinize)
21. Dom Harvey - Me and My Budde Kai
20. Gamusino - Contest Submission (Izzet/Galvanize)
19. gaytransmulldrifter - Making Magic as Cheap and Fun as Possible
18. MilesOfficial - Exchanging Value for Complexity
17. Onderzeeboot - Phage and Haakon
16. Onderzeeboot - All my Friends are Deer
15. ravnic - Volatile Wanderglyph Spoiler Reveal
14. Strionic Adventurer - Universes Restored Project
13. Tavahka - Contest Submission (Orzhov/Linger)
12. TrainmasterGT - 999/1000th member of Riptidelab

12 Reactions
11. Kirblinx - Contest Submission (Gruul/Brutality)
10. Onderzeeboot - Ravnica Reimagined Contest
9. Zoss - April of the Machines

13 Reactions
8. Dom Harvey - Loving Magic and the Gathering
7. Kirblinx - RiptideLab' Most Liked Posts of 2022
6. Taamas - Bosses vs Leaders
5. VincePendrell - The Handout Template Primer

14 Reactions
4. ravnic - Contest Submission (Golgari/Consume)

15 Reactions
3. burymeinmsg - Accessibility in Aesthetics of Cube
2. Erik Twice - Slot Efficiency

18 Reactions
1. landofMordor - Understanding the WotC Sensitivity Errata

The Best Post of the Year comes from @landofMordor from an out of left-field post about trying to understand and explain why Wizards is reverting some of their earlier wordings. Are they just trying to appease to their customer base that they are think about inclusion? That's what landofMordor wants to know, but also gloriously explains what they have learnt from the First American Museum in regards to the changes. A decent read, along with a couple more posts below from LadyMapi to add more context to the Post of the Year.

The first Runner up was @burymeinmsg their first post, and a solid reply to an article by landofMorder; Making Cube Approachable, which sadly didn't make the reaction cutoff. They go deeper than just the designs that Mordor focused on in their article and talk about how they simplified their cubes aesthetics to make more players want to actually play it. Great first post and look more to seeing more from them.

The other Runner up was @Erik Twice with an article on Slot Efficiency. A great concept with a snappy name that should help in the future to help get archetype packages to work with significant density without running inefficient cards. Great writeup!

Next I wanted to shoutout the Ravnica Reimagined Contest. A great idea for a contest that @Onderzeeboot ran at the end of the year. There was the contest itself (no. 10) and 7 entries (No. 4,11,13,20,22,32,40) that managed to make this years list. Really excited to see how Onder manages to decide a winner!

The Most Liked User (the person with the most entries on this list) this year goes to @Onderzeeboot who managed to usurp our glorious leader Jason Waddell for the first time in 3 years. We'll see if he comes back with a vengeance this year to take back the title.

I never really know how to end these things. I copy a lot of things across, so I don't want these send offs to all be the same. The forum is still chugging along, and while there are lots of other places you can talk about cube these days, RiptideLab is still a great home to a lot of people. We gained a couple of long-time lurkers thanks to the contest and thanks to CubeCon and the higher focus on Vintage Cube on MTGO there has never been a better time to get into cube than now. The best we can do is keep the ideas flowing and make 2024 the best we can with our favourite cube community.

Cheers,
Kirblinx

Previous Most Liked Post Awards:
100,000 Post Special

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Next I wanted to shoutout the Ravnica Reimagined Contest. A great idea for a contest that @Onderzeeboot ran at the end of the year. There was the contest itself (no. 10) and 7 entries (No. 4,11,13,20,22,32,40) that managed to make this years list. Really excited to see how Onder manages to decide a winner!
I am absolutely blown away by the response to that contest and it's absolutely wild that it got 7 entries (or 8 if you count my post) into your end of year list! Obviously that's a good starting point for my judging :p (Kidding, kidding, this is going to take hours and hours of lying awake to finish o_O)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I'm honestly not surprised — people like contests! Remember how well the "make a 360 with only 100 unique cards" contest went a few years ago.
That was really cool and I wonder if there is another design contest within the same vein. Like trying to curate a whole cube is daunting enough, this was like just designing a grid-draft pile then doubling numbers. Where else could I make another Biovisionary monstrosity?